I really don't know if I've blogged about Grace lately....actually, I haven't blogged about anything, have I?
Well...back to Grace.
Grace has played "rec league" softball for the past 5 seasons (that is fall ball and spring ball) and this year, her coach gave her an invite to try out for the All-Star team. The league has 2 All-Star teams. One team has been together for a year and they travel all over Houston playing in tournaments. They had 3 spots available on that team and they are really good. The second All-Star team plays 5 extra games and then they are done for the season. There were 31 little girls that came out on that Sunday afternoon to try out for 15 spots...total. The remaining 12 girls made the second all-star team.
Aaron took Grace to the tryout. I stayed at home with the little ones and then Sus had a birthday party later in the afternoon. He would call me every few minutes and was about to burst with pride. After the tryout was over, we met Aaron and Grace at an ice cream place and she was so excited about her try-out. We thought for sure that she made the 2nd team.
That night we got a phone call. Grace made the first team. The travelling All-Star team!! She was in the top 3 girls that tried out and was so excited to make this team. Well....here we are. We are now officially a travelling softball family. We literally eat, sleep and drink softball all of the time and will continue to do so until after the 4th of July. Aaron took Grace to her first tournament 2 weekends ago because I had a wedding shower and Susie got sick. Aaron was out of town this weekend so I was fully inducted into the softball travelling family with 3 children...BY MYSELF!! OH MY WORD!! It's just crazy!! Who in the world thought it was a good idea to let 8 year olds be so stinkin' competitive? Really? We will finish the season with this team, but this will probably be our last "travelling team" for a few more years. I think if we continued to play softball at this intensity and this level...she will either love softball for the rest of her life or hate it!
So, for this season....Grace is an official "Cobra" and a member of the1st All-Star team. They won first place in the tournament that they played in this past weekend....over an hour drive from our house. I would put some pictures up, but I don't have any yet. Aaron has the camera. :)But...these little girls are intense. They lead off, they slide and they don't joke around on the field. I just can't decide if I'm ready for my little girl to be thrown into the fire so quickly, yet. Winning this tourney was great, but I'm dead tired from spending all Friday, Saturday and Sunday in the sun, keeping 2 little ones entertained and watching Grace play. I'll keep on rooting for my little Cobra. She's a tough one....maybe I need to get some thicker skin, too!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Caleb and Ians coach for the last 3 years wanted them to be on his new travel team. I decided pretty quickly that we were not going to do it now. Caleb is only 7 and we didn't want him to be burnt out after all the games. Maybe when he is older. Congrats for Grace- that is such an honor! And Jen- go you for hanging in there and enjoying it!
Way to go, Grace!
Post a Comment