Grace devours books. She does. We go to the library once a week and she gets 7 to 10 books every week and reads them all. I should have started a list of all of the books she has read this year...should have. Oh well. She wants to be a librarian when she grows up. I think she would be a better book editor or do book reviews. But the girl loves to read. Did I tell you she is 8 years old? Right now, we get her books in the young adult section. The problem is that...well...she is 8. I tell her all the time (I can do that...I'm her mom) "Just because you CAN read it, doesn't mean that you SHOULD read it." Her teacher can only test her up to a 8th grade reading level because that is as high as they test at this age because that is as high as their testing software goes. CRAZY! Last year, I tried to read everything that she read....this year, I just can't keep up. Until now.Grace started this series right before Christmas: Percy Jackson and The Olympians. She would read them sooo fast that I was sure that she wasn't really reading them....but, she was. We couldn't find book 4 right before Christmas and told her that she wasn't getting it because we couldn't find it anywhere....until Christmas Eve and mom and I found one copy. It was soo funny. Christmas morning, she found book #4 in the Percy Jackson series in her stocking and was loosing it! She was so excited and totally convinced that Santa brought her that book because we couldn't find it anywhere! Oh...that makes me feel a little bad, but not really...she was so excited!
I have been on the waiting list for the first book in the series since Christmas. Crazy, I know, but yesterday it came in and we made our weekly visit to the library!! I started on this book last night and so far, it's pretty good. So, if you are the mother of a child that loves to read and loves adventure, pick up this book. Now, I'm getting off the computer to go and read my new book from the library. I have to catch up with Grace!!
2 comments:
I have an avid reader in my house as well... He to is 8, at least they can test yours that high... Our teacher had to go steal a test to test three of the kids in his class because the school won't allow them to test more than one grade level higher than they are. My oldest struggles with reading, He's 10 - we were so excited when he told us he wanted to do Chat and Chew (read and talk about it at lunch)... A GROUP of 10 year old boys and what does the group leader pick? a book about a teenage girl and her struggles with her family and school... GOOD GRIEF, that supposed to get him excited about reading...
Brighton got the first one for Valentine's Day. She was finished the next evening. (and NO, we didn't let her read it during Allan's sermon! :) She wasn't too happy about that either...) The next book she ran through the same way. Now, she is impatiently waiting for me to have time to run back to Sam's to get the rest. Great recommendation!
Post a Comment