I took a long nap this afternoon. It's Sunday, I'm allowed a good restful nap while my children are all napping, but today I took too long of a nap. So, now I type. I think this whole small groups discussion has just got me thinking. I know, me think, who would have ever thought that would happen this much in one short week?
This morning before worship services began, I took Parkerman to the nursery and there was no one there to work. So, I went in, turned on the lights and got everything out so that other people could leave their little ones and go on out to worship. No big. I love working in the nursery. The kids are cute, they love to be held, and it's only for an hour. More and more babies started piling in and finally some other sweet moms joined me and we all together worked in the nursery. We also had company here this morning from Duncan, OK (where we lived for our first 3 years of married life and Grace was born there!) and that was so fun to see them and their sweet kids. So, after worship was over, we went with them and their family to lunch. Great company and sweet kids.
Tonight after church we went out to eat at Rosa's and filled up the patio with hungry kids and adults. It was a great evening for food and fellowship and the weather was beautiful. While we are sitting there, Whitney Stanglin says to me, "Where were you this morning? I missed seeing you." I went on to tell her the nursery story and how we had company...yadda yadda yadda...and she says, "Just was wondering, I just missed seeing you." That made my night. Really, it did. That Whitney, from her little corner of the table, was paying enough attention this morning to notice that I wasn't there....she is a sweetie.
For me, that is what having small groups is all about. EVERYONE, I don't care who you are, likes to feel loved and missed when they are gone. When we don't have a "connection" with someone in our church family, who is going to miss us and encourage us when we are gone? Then, when we don't have that connection, what is going to make us want to go to a place where people didn't even notice that we were gone or have come back? There are many reasons why meeting in a small group with other believers is a great idea, but this is just one from my corner of the blogsphere. I am so very thankful for our life group at church. I know I can call, any hour of the night, and all of them or any one of them will be there in just a minute. Man, I have WONDERFUL friends! And just think, we have only lived here for 10 months....I know, I can't believe it either. God blesses our friendships when we bring Him into them and pray for them.
Thanks, Whitney. You made me feel encouraged about our small groups even more, just with your concern. What a sweet girl. Keep her in your prayers today, too. She has an MRI to figure out what is going on with her eyesight.
Monday, October 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You are so right. We never even know how much words mean until someone speaks them to us. It's great to be around people who notice you and where you are.
The biggest lesson I've learned in the last year and a half is that it's especially true of the strangers we pass everyday. In my most down moments when I was out in public, people with small actions or words had the biggest impact to make or break me. They had no idea what I'd just been through or that I was running what seemed like a meaningless errand that was truly a gut wrenching task. I wanted to tack a sign to myself that said, "Please, be gentle"
I really try to remember that and how much my actions and words may mean to some stranger. I may be having a great day or a bad day, but the random people I brush with may be having a day I can't even imagine. I know I have victory in this life, but I can't say the same for every person I come in contact with throughout my day.
Maybe it's not really that simple, but I feel like it's my chance to win them over for the big guy! Mind you, I forget ALL the time and have to catch myself when someone cuts me off at Wal Mart or some mom is laying into her kid. Thanks for your reminder to me today about the power of my words to my friends and strangers too!
Post a Comment