My heart is so heavy. Today it is broken for my friend, Angie and her 3 sweet children. This morning, while I was still asleep in my bed with my dear husband, one of my dear friends from high school was at work. His job? He is a Air Evac Helicopter pilot and saves lives everyday by flying and and helping people that are in need of medical attention get to where they need to be. They have saved countless lives in their years of flying.
This morning something really horrible went wrong. We have no idea right now what happened. I do know that my old friend, Kenny, who was the pilot of that helicopter and 2 other of his associates on board, died in an accident.
Kenny was that guy growing up that everyone loved. Really. I never in my life met anyone that didn't get along with Kenny. Ever. We grew up around the corner from each other and went to camp together in the summers at Camp Takodah. In high school, we would meet half-way between our houses, under the big street light on the corner, and then walk the neighborhood and talk. And talk some more.
I remember that when our family moved back to Searcy (we were gone for 3 years in High school and then moved back for my senior year) Kenny and I had been hanging out alot again-we played together all the time when we were younger but you know when you are in HS....- so Kenny asked me out. We had gone on several dates and had a great time. Why wouldn't we? We had been friends for almost forever so why not? But then we got to the date where we kissed for the first time...Oh my word. It was so funny. We looked at each other and it was like we kissed our own brother or sister. So....needless to say, we didn't date anymore....but we stayed great friends. We would jump on the trampoline, hang out and have backyard prayer time. Yep. I said prayer time. We would sit on the side wall of their house and pray. Kenny was the only boy in high school that I ever dated that I prayed with during our dates or after just hanging out. That was something really special to me and I don't know if I even ever told him that.
We all were a pretty close class in high school. We were all really pretty good friends. I mean we should have been...there were not even 40 of us and most of us had been together since we were old enough to go to the nursery at church! After high school, most of us Harding Academy kids went on to Harding University. Not Kenny. He got a ride to Texas A&M and became a Cadet in the Corps. Those letters from college were the best. He was experiencing things that were just crazy to me, the little girl that was at Harding University! Our talks and walks when he was home from A&M were just great...and then he became a Marine. So cool. Really.
Life goes on. We both graduated. We both got married. We both have 3 kids. I love Kenny's wife, Angie! I feel like she is just one of my old friends, just like him. She came into our little "group" and fit like she had always been there.
Now, I morn for the loss of my dear friend, Kenny. It's been years since we had a walk and talk, but that is why he married his best friend, Angie and I married my best friend, Aaron. I morn for his wonderful wife, Angie. She is one tough cookie. She is also one of the most positive people I've ever met in my life. She is like a flashlight where ever she goes. Now, I am praying for her and her 3 sweet kids as they navigate this time in our lives without their best friend and daddy. I know they are looking forward to the time when they see Kenny again.
I'll miss you, old friend, but I will see you again. Heaven is your reward. You have blessed and touched so many lives with your kindness.
Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Our thoughts and prayers are with Kenny's family - what a special person he was by your account!
Thanks Jen, Your words were so sweet yet hard to swallow. You knew Kenny better than I did, but he certainly left a huge impression on anyone who had the pleasure to know him. I miss him a little bit more for hearing the type of friend he was to you.
One thing is certain, he's sittin right next to our Papa right now, resting from his labor on earth. If you come up to Searcy, I'd love to give you a good hug!
What a beautiful tribute to your friend! I didn't know Angie at HU, but so many people have shared stories about she and Kenny today, and it's evident that they were a terrific duo. Prayers for this young family, and for the friends Kenny left behind, too.
Kenny was one of the people at the Academy that made me feel like I had been there forever. What an impact one person can make on so many lives. He was such a special person and will be missed so much. Praying fervently for his family
That was beautiful Jenn! Matthew talked to Scott S today...everyone is greiveing so hard. We will see you on Friday, hopefully.
Angie has been a Delta Gamma Rho sponser while I have been in college, and I can honestly say I don't know a sweeter person. Campus today was different - once they announced it in chapel, it seemed like the whole student body began to grieve for their family. This was a beautiful tribute to their family.
Lauren
Post a Comment