Friday, February 29, 2008

Multiply? Already??

This past Sunday night in small groups, we had to bring up the subject of multiplying. For those of you that aren't familiar with the term, basically, instead of having one huge group we are breaking up into 2 smaller groups so that we can both grow. Using the word, "spilt" sounds negative, so we are using the word multiply because we want to grow within the new groups. We have already grown within our original group. We started out with 26 people (with kids) and now we have 44 people, if everyone comes!! Our group is so huge that we can't invite anyone without them feeling like they are visiting a three-ring circus!

So, we had group Sunday night, but I was upstairs with the little ones. I fully expected the meeting to go long...I don't know why my faith was so shallow, but I did expect to be up there for the long haul. After about 20 minutes (it could have been longer, no watch) a parent walks in, smiling and says that they were finished. Finished? Are you kidding me? They figured out how to divide up our group that quick? It was awesome. Not one hurt feeling (as far as I know) and no one was throwing fits...well, the kids might in April when they figure out that their best friend is in the other group, but we can fix that with lots of sleepovers!!

I'm so very excited. Our small group church went from 44 people (that are busting out of my house!!) to 22 people (that is kids and adults!) in a very short amount of time. We won't meet in our "new" group until the first Sunday in April. We still have a month with our giant, not so small group, but we love it. But I want to know.....how did it happen?? Honestly, I am totally giving every bit of the credit to God. I know, I sound like a person excepting an Academy Award. But really, my stomach was in knots to think of all of the possibilities of how things could go wrong and how we could hurt feelings. I mean, you know, we are human and half of us in the group are women. But God stepped in and did his thing. He gave Aaron the ability to lead the meeting in the right direction with the right tone. God gave everyone loving and receptive hearts. Oh, and he gave me the patience to be upstairs and not want to be all in the middle of everything, just because it was a big deal and MY husband was in charge....you know how we women can get. It was great. We divided the group up geographically and the families that didn't really fit into that category, just picked what was easiest for them, kid and driving wise.

MAN! God so provides when we think that we are going to do things that are hard. Honestly, is it hard taking a big group of people and putting them into 2 smaller groups? No, but God was there to guide our group to make the transition so effortless. We so want to over think situations and if we just hand things over, God will provide.
Now we just have to figure out how to feed our group for the next 4 weeks...I'm thinking Pizza Garden!

4 comments:

BW said...

Wonderful results!

Have you spoken with AAK or your mom. Steven's daughter is in the hospital in Ft. Worth.

Shana said...

That is awesome about your small (or not so small) group! We call it "birthing". I am like you in thinking that "splitting" sounds kind of negative. I hope that you guys double in size again and have to "birth" again. You will have to tell us your tricks in case our group ever gets to that point!

Shannon said...

Our church "births" groups also. I can't decide if that sounds gross or not...We've had to do that a few times and it's hard. It's always a little difficult to decide who goes where without hurting feelings.

Tammie's Thoughts said...

I'll have to praise your group for being so willing to multiply...our small group is very resistant to doing that no matter how big we get! So now Tim and I go to two small groups. One meets once a month on Sunday night and the other meets twice a month on alternating Sunday nights...we just couldn't give up any of our friends!
P. S. Thank you for your sweet note! At least two people today mentioned "James Casserole" when the audience was given a chance to stand up and say whatever they wanted in remembrance of my mom..she cooked it all the time and everybody loved it!