Monday, January 07, 2008

Small groups and Guitar Hero...

No, the two didn't happen at the same time. Don't worry Allan, I just wanted to post these pictures of the kids playing Guitar Hero, but I really want to post about our small groups meeting last night. First, the photos...Parker thought he was a big kid, so he kept carrying around the guitar all over the house and making this face..."I'm a tough guy and I play in a rock band..."
Grace is REALLY into this game. So much more than we ever thought she would be, I think. She is way ahead of me, although that isn't saying much, but I really like the game,too and I don't like most of Aaron's 360 games. This one is so fun and the music is great for a kid of the 80's!
My sister got Grace a Hannah Montana wig for Christmas so she would wear the wig and play all at the same time...you can see her little tongue sticking out. That is a complete Green family characteristic. Below, Parker is carrying around Susie's new Barbie guitar because Grace had the Guitar Hero one...He just thinks he is so big....and he is getting there for sure!

Okay, now on to small groups....Last night was our first meeting at our house of our small group. It totally rocked. Were things perfect? No. Was my house busting at the seams with kids? You bet. I loved every minute of it and it was over WAY too quick. We meet at 5:30 for dinner and then we started our worship service with all the family about 6:15 or so. We have one member of our small group that gets here late because of work so we want him to be a part of everything too. The singing was sooo GREAT!! I was so very impressed. I think we could have sat there and sung for an hour and it would have been no big deal. The kids were all singing, the adults were all singing and all I could think was that God was sure loving the sounds coming from our neighborhood, because there was some praise going on, for sure! We sang a few kids songs, but mostly devo songs from the song sheets and the kids all pretty much sang along or tried to, if they didn't know the words. After some prayer requests and a prayer, my friend Steph and I took the kids upstairs for their own kids bible study. Now here is where it got a little sticky! We had 16 kids but, 4 of those kids are around Parker's age. It was a little overwhelming at first to see all those kids in the room, but you know, after a minute, those kids were all (for the most part) listening to the bible story and then we colored a picture. This week, I'm going to work on a behavior chart with stickers because I think that might help a few of the little bit rowdier ones to remember to listen. Other than that, I think our kids bible study went fine. Steph is very good at looking at the big picture. I was getting an overwhelmed look on my face when we had 3 kids crying at the beginning, she says, "Remember, this is all new for them, too, they will get into a routine and will settle down." And you know, they did. Everyone was gone home by 8:00 and the kids were asleep by 8:15. Pretty good ending to a really great Sunday. I'm loving small groups church already. Now, I can't wait to be downstairs with the adults next Sunday night for some bible study! I read this today on a website and wanted to put it on here to brighten your day:

Find your "ordinary miracle" for today and be thankful for it. Wake up and expect God to show up in your life. When you see Him in your life, you're faith will grow and you will love Him more. When you love Him more, you'll love others more and they will see the light of the Lord shining thru you!

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Tammie's Thoughts said...

Sounds like your small group is off to a great start! I pray that it keeps up the way it has started! Getting together like that can be so meaningful! God bless you guys!

Sara said...

This sounds like our small group..busting at the seams and LOTS of kids from ages 1 to 4. It is always a bit crazy, but you can't get that many people together and expect everything to go smoothly.

We love our group and they are all our closest friends here. I can't begin to imagine saying goodbye, but that is another story.

Enjoyed your post.

Anonymous said...

Instumental music in your small group?

Wow. I feel an elder meeting coming on.

Glad ya'lls group went well.

Jill said...

Glad you had a great time! Ours was awesome too! It's so exciting getting to know new families & developing closer relationships. We are having Small Groups Church at our house next Sunday evening!!! Thanks again for making the kiddo kits!

Anonymous said...

Hey Jennifer,
This is Emily Dame from Harding Academy.
I found your blog and was wondering where you go to church. My husband and I are coming to Dallas/Ft.Worth area for a job interview this weekend. I would love to see you! My email is emilymann05@hotmail.com
If you get this message before Sunday, just send me the name of your church. Thanks!
Emily

Kathryn & John said...

Could the little guy look any more like his Dad?