Today (Wednesday) is the Battle of the Books competition!! Grace and her pals from school have been reading and practicing for several months to get ready for today's competition. If you have a second this morning, remember Grace, her teammates and 2 of our friends from church that are in the competition that go to other schools. Their names are Payton and Hudson. Grace is really excited about the whole thing but is a little nervous about the "mixed round" in which she will be with the 4th and 5th grade team and they will ask them (the captains and another member of their team) questions about all of the books, primary (1st-3rd grade) and intermediate (4th & 5th grade.) She hasn't read hardly any of the intermediate books because, 1. I read some of them and they are too much for a first grader and 2. Her teacher told her to concentrate on her level books so that she can be an expert on them. She reads on a really high level, but that doesn't mean that she should HAVE to....I want her to enjoy reading books that are meant for her age (Junie B. Jones, The Boxcar Children, Nate The Great and so on...) and not just jump from first grade to fifth grade. I was glad when her coach didn't pressure them to read the other books. She read 2 of them, but they were all just too long....If she would have started on the 4th & 5th grade books this summer, maybe, but I'm glad she didn't.
Anyway, here she is...our battle of the books captain and champion. In our eyes, no matter the outcome!! We love you Grace!!
Happy Wednesday and thanks Jen Mall for watching Parker and Sus so that Aaron and I could both go and cheer on Grace, Payton and Hudson!!
Tuesday, January 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Good luck Grace! I know she will do well!
Good luck Gracie! You are a winner no matter how you do in today's competition! And how special to have your dad take of work to support you!
Post a Comment