Got invited to be part of a children's committee meeting today. I was so excited...I love being a part of my kids walk with Jesus and helping them get to Heaven. After all, that's my job, right? This meeting was this morning in the church library. Parker did not agree. All of the other little girls at the meeting did great. They sat quietly with their moms, ate candy, read books. Not mine. Not Parker. That little boy did everything in his power to keep me out of that meeting. And I have to say that he did a good job of it! Sometimes it is just so frustrating not having a family support system in the area. Good thing that he is so cute....it makes him not seem so much like a hand full when I miss something that I wanted to hear!
I know many couples that get a night out once a week and the kids go to the grandparents house. What a cool thing. I would like to go out once a month and not have to spend $50 on a sitter! I mean seriously, has babysitting changed that much where sitters now get $10 an hour as when I babysat for every kid in our church growing up and thought it was awesome if I got $5 an hour? Crikey! Aaron and I do love having a night out, but when your babysitter costs more than our night out....I'm out. That being said, I just miss my family. There is no telling the next time that I will see my parents. They are busy teachers in a college town and when they do get to visit, I certainly don't want to leave to go out to the movies! We were so excited yesterday when Aaron's dad had a layover here in D/FW. We got to take him to lunch and then back to the airport. It was a wonderful break in our routine....Now if we can make it until Aaron's mom comes at the end of February, we will be great!
We've never lived close to either of our families, but we have always had "extra" grandparents in every place that we have lived. Here we have lots and lots of friends our age, which is such a wonderful blessing, don't get me wrong. Different blessings, different times. Just right now I'm missing my quiet time with Aaron and just getting to go out without having to mortgage the house off...okay, I'm done. I think it was just all pent up from having to chase Parker during the meeting. If you are still here...thanks....I feel so much better now and I'm sure that Aaron thanks you because I'm almost over it and then he won't have to get such an earful tonight while we are trying to get ready for church!! :) Oh, I really do love to blog. How I went from being frustrated about not being able to be in a meeting to paying crazy babysitting prices is beyond me, but after all, it is MY blog!!!
Wednesday, January 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I remember the feelings you are having! We lived 11 hours from the closest grandparent when the kids were small. For Aaron's first 3 years, we lived close to his parents, but they were busy and didn't babysit really. Scott was back in college, so we went through several years with the same situation. We sometimes had a "date" on the back porch after the kids went to sleep. Thank goodness the VCR was finally invented, Disney to the rescue!
Shelley and I know how you and Aaron feel. Until 14 months ago, we've never lived close to family. It is great to go out and establish yourself outside of the parents, but it's certainly tough when it comes to getting to go out on dates. It's a shame the CPS frowns on locking them in the closet. Closets are so cost effective. If Shelley and I have to go back to Georgia, we are going to miss the parents and the free babysitting.
I think my first comment didn't go through... We are very fortunate that our parents moved to TX too! It is so nice not having to pay a babysitter. YIKES! That's expensive!
Anytime you have a meeting, appt., etc... don't hesitate to call me. We would love to have your kiddos over for a playdate!
i don't have a family, but i would like to be closer to family, just to be close. in fact, it really sucks to be alone in a city still feeling disconnected when you lock your keys in your car. that's when you want to have someone to call.
i also appreciate a good rant, b/c i feel like i give a lot of them.
Yes, I remember those days too...even though babysitting wasn't quite so much, neither were salaries!! And parents weren't tooooo far away..... Just as far as Pakistan!!All kidding aside we made it fine. Luckily, your kids go to bed early which hopefully gives you some evening time IF you're not too tired.Truly it is hard. But hang in there!! We love you really and love to help you out!!!! Love, Mom
Jenn, we are in the same boat as you. We schedule every Fri. night as date night but with kids, it pretty much has just become family night instead. We have a babysitter from church that we think is great but NO KIDDING -- we can only afford this one time a month (if that) and only because we spend only $11-12 on our date (sharing a meal) and stay out only 2 hours. Sometimes we swap nights with our friends -- we'll watch your kids this weekend if you'll watch ours next weekend, and that works out well. I've thought about starting a babysitting co-op with other young families at church where you earn your own time out by babysitting other kids and such...would either of those options ever work? I am totally with you -- having alone time is IMPORTANT!
I also miss having dates with Jim. It has to be a special occasion to get a babysitter since it is pricey.
A few months back, the Young Married's class at church offered a Parents Night Out. I wish it happened more than one time a year though. It could be a great ministry to parents!!
Okay, girl...I am in the same boat (eventhough I technically have family here...I can't use them for dates) and I think we just became a rescue raft for each of us! I have been praying for a way to make a date night a priority and I think I just got my answer! Let's talk and make a plan!
Post a Comment