Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Hard day

Yesterday was a normal day just like any other Monday, I thought....We got up, got dressed, the girls watched their show, no big deal. Then we had some friends call and we invited them over for a playdate that afternoon. The girls were so excited that their friends were coming over to swim (you know, in our HUGE pool, that we have to air up every day because we have a small leak somewhere)...Well, the kids all came and suddenly, Grace turned into this whiney little girl whom I didn't recognize at all. She was warned and then finally just got sent inside by herself. Yah, that didn't work. So she came back out and started in, again. So this time, I picked her up and carried her upstairs and she got a spanking. She also had to sit on her bed and listen to one of her books on CD until she calmed down. About 30 minutes later she came down and STILL wasn't done being fussy and whiney so we had another little talk. Here it is....

I said, "Grace, do you know what it says in the bible about complaining and arguing?"

Grace says, "The bible talks about that? Show me, I want to read it"

So we got out the bible and turned to Philippians 2:14 and I read her the verse...Do everything without complaining or arguing.

Grace says, "Okay Mom, I'm sorry"

Then she went outside and played with her friends and was fine the rest of the day. I don't know how her little mind works, but I am most certainly going to God's word first next time as my first option with her. It was amazing that she changed her attitude so quickly. That little stinker.

3 comments:

BW said...

What a wonderful little mind she has. It is so accepting and loving.
I have also used that lets gets the Bible method of discipline/discussion. When my little darling was in the 6th grade and sassing me something fierce while I was brushing her hair for church, I had had enough. She first got a couple of swats from the brush in my hand and then she was banished to the kitchen table with her Bible. We had our own Bible class that Sunday morning looking at every verse I could find about honor/obeying your parents. Then when we showed up a worship service she had to explain to her friends why she wasn't in class. It was a good experience for both of us.
You are so smart to figure this out while Grace is still so young!
BTW, my little darling is flying to LF this weekend and he is delighted she is coming.

MrsM said...

I'm impressed you didn't even have to go look up the verse! It would have taken me 20 minutes to find!

That's such a blessing to hear she takes Gods word as the final word, good work mom.

Jenn said...

Believe me, I think it was intervention from God...I don't think I could have picked her up one more time and carried her upstairs for a spanking! She is getting too big and little Parker inside is getting too big too!!