Sunday, February 05, 2006

The pregnant woman dreams...

I know, I'm posting on a Sunday morning. Susie still has a fever and my dear hubby is out of town for a few days, so we are here at home watching cartoons and playing on the computer.
This is my third pregnancy. I have always read different places that pregnant women have very vivid dreams. I remember having some really good ones when I was pregnant with Grace (Aaron was gone for 2 months right at the end and they were just scary, I think I just missed him and was afraid that he wasn't going to be back for the delivery...)With Susie, I really don't remember much about my dreams, but I was always chasing around Grace and was tired so who knows what I remember. But last night, my dream took me straight back to my freshman year of college. I love dreams, it is like being there all over again. What is even weirder is that I can still remember my dream, now, and I've been awake for 3 hours. That is pretty good for me, I usually will wake up, tell Aaron that I've had a good dream and then forget it soon after. But this time was different, it was sooo vivid and real.
I'll try to tell it but forgive me if it just comes out weird...
My freshman year of college at Harding my roommate went pretty much AWOL and I had a room to myself (she got asked to leave at semester)...so I hung out with the girls across the hall, Shellie and Mindy. It was great...who doesn't love being a freshman? Pretty much no worries because you don't know any better yet and all we did was hang out and eat!! Shell and Min were great and we had a blast together! We hung out with these 2 guys, Jim and Chris. They were great. They are both from Florida, so we had some things in common and we just got along really well. Shellie had a crush on Jim and I thought that Chris was pretty okay, too. Titan's (men's club on campus) every year had a function that they called the "Groundhog's Day" function. Chris was in Titans and he asked me to go with him. We had all been hanging out for a little while, but we both liked each other a little bit, so I was really excited that he asked me to go. I think he asked me pretty early because I remember the waiting was just so hard. We all still hung out and went to the movies (as a group), but somehow we were waiting for the function before anything could happen. The day of the function came and Shell and Mindy helped me get ready (we tried on a million outfits) and I was so pumped, and then we just sat there and sat there. The time that he was supposted to come and pick me up came and went. About when it was time for the function to start, the phone rang and it was Jim and he was crying. Chris' mom had died that evening and he had just gotten the call when he was on his way out of the dorm to come and pick me up for the party. She got kicked off a horse that she dearly loved to ride and from what I remember, the fall broke her neck. I was devastated. For Chris, this guy I hardly knew from Florida who just lost his mother, he was so broken. I called my mom and she came and picked me up and I just cried. Here I was with my own mother and Chris was on a plane to bury his. I never slept in my own dorm room again. I pretty much "moved in" with Shellie and Mindy. Shell and I slept in the same bed because of the sad dreams that I had about Chris and his mom. Shell you were the best roommate ever!!
Chris came back to school with a new truck and a changed look on life. We never went out by ourselves again. We were all really great friends all though college and Chris met his match in Nikki our junior year (I think, the years are all starting to run together now), she is the greatest. Sweet heart and love for God and Chris, they have so much fun together. They have 2 kids now and are living in Oregon. I love to get their Christmas cards and see how their family is growing. What is weird is how we all lost touch after college. Nikki and I e-mail back and forth and send Christmas cards and such, but the last time that I saw Jim or Chris or even talked to them was at our friend Brandon's wedding, which was when Aaron and I were first married (6 or 7 years ago). Maybe that just goes along with having boys for friends in college and maybe now they are married (Jim and Brandon married girls that didn't go to Harding) they are just busy working and out of the loop. Still, every year I send my Christmas card to Brandon and Jim, with no reply from them. I wish them well and do miss all of them and all the fun times that we had our 4 years at Harding. We went though many things together, but we all are who we are from those experiences and I wouldn't trade a thing for my 4 years with all of them. I really think that those guys taught me some fun things...we would go rappelling up on Sugarloaf Mountain, cliff diving at Heber Spring and (gasp!)dancing every Saturday night in Cabot which was very against the Harding rules. We never did anything bad...drinking, smoking, sex and yucky stuff. Just had fun adventures and lived to tell about it. I really think that Chris, Jim and Brandon taught me to take chances, which is why I moved to Florida after graduation in the first place. Two weeks after moving to Gainesville, I met Aaron and the rest is history.
Well, this was supposted to tell about my dream, but it just ended up telling you about some of my old friends, and maybe that is what dreams are all about. They remind us of people and times that we love and miss. I love dreams.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Made me cry to remember that sad day. It is fun to remember those fun days with that crazy crew!