I just cannot believe all of this devastation that has hit the south. When we went to bed last night it just seemed like a big storm, but that was the end of it with a little damage. I guess because it was dark and we really couldn't see anything, it didn't seem quite so bad. Now, today, I watch the news with my mouth wide open and tears in my eyes. It just breaks my heart to see these families on their rooftops being rescued and thinking about what they have been thru the past 24 hours. Can you even think about it?
1. They stayed in their house thru a hurricane....150+ mph winds and everything blowing around.
2. Then, they watched the flood waters come into their home steadily all night, rising and forcing them higher and higher until they reached their attics, because they had no where else to hide.
3. I know how hot my attic is, without the pressure of a hurricane and flood under me...The heat was and is probably unbearable.
4. At last, they had to break their way out of their home thru the roof using whatever they could find to get thru to sit on top to be rescued by the coast guard.
My heart goes out to these families that are in this situation and are going to be basically homeless for who knows how long. They have my prayers.
We talked to our friends today. They are driving back to Houma today. Houma got hit, but nothing like New Orleans. They have little damage and are overjoyed. The only reason they can go back is because they drove west when they were told to evacuate and good thing. It seems like the hurrican hit everything east of New Orleans. The one road going to Houma is high enough that they can get home and take care of their family that is in New Orleans.
I just can't think about New Orleans covered in water. We went to New Orleans on part of our honeymoon and then when Grace was little and we lived in Houma, I was always in New Orleans. I just love that city, the food, the smells, the sounds of great live jazz music and just walking around Jackson Square and people watching. Don't get me wrong...The big easy has it's fair share of big problems...the drinking, the strip clubs and Bourbon Street. But the city has great food and some really friendly people. Have any New Orleans experiences? I have some good memories with my mom and Gracie shopping in the open market and eating way too much fresh kennel corn. The city makes me smile. I hope it will bring back some more smiles in the future.
I made the girls go outside and play this morning instead of letting them watch TV. It has been so beautiful here, I just wanted them to enjoy the morning. I love this house. They can play on the back porch and I can totally see them because there are big windows all across the back of the house. It's really nice for watching them and getting lunch and dinner ready.
Grace and Sus were playing out and I noticed that Grace had out the hose and a bowl. I asked her what she was doing and she replies,"We are making a recipe, Mom." They were tearing up leaves and sticks and adding water and dirt. Basically a big mud pie... What a recipe! She said they were going to feed it to the kitten that lives next door. Look out, kitty, here comes Grace!
Tuesday, August 30, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
It's so hard to sit here safe and comfortable and want to be with your friends helping.
You have such a sweet, kind heart.
Post a Comment