Friday, April 02, 2010

I can talk now.

I haven't been blogging lately because I'm not the best about keeping my mouth shut when I'm excited about something.  Our family found out a few weeks ago about the "possibility" of my parents moving to Greece.  Couldn't talk about it, tell anyone (well, you know me, I told some of you who have no Harding connections) and just had to keep it quiet until my parents made a decision and of course, until it was officially announced.

Well, that day is here soooo I can blog about it!! Yippee!

My Dad and Mom are going to be the new directors at the Harding University in Greece program in Athens, Greece (or HUG, as they call it around campus) for the next 5 years!!  We could not be more excited for them!!  Okay, a little teary at times, but mostly pure excitement.  Don't get me wrong.  The thought of my parents being thousands of miles away and not being able to jump in the car and go and see them does make me sad.  But, WOW!! What an amazing opportunity for both of them to live in Greece and experience the culture and the history over there.  They will get to lead groups of college students in one of the most exciting adventures of their lives.  I'm so thankful.  They will be amazing at this job and knowing my parents like I know my parents....They will soak up every last bit of Greece that they can.  I can't wait to go and visit.  But until then, I can't wait to go back to Searcy and love on them as much as I can before they get on that airplane for their newest adventure together. They are going to have a wonderful and wild time!!

Below is the "official" press release:
April 1, 2010

Harding University names new director for study abroad program in Greece

SEARCY, Ark. — Harding University President David B. Burks announces
Dr. Mike James as the new director of the University’s international
program in Athens, Greece. James is currently dean of the College of
Communication. He and his wife, Beth, will make the journey overseas
in July to prepare for the fall 2010 semester.

As director, James will oversee day-to-day operations of the program
and supervise faculty and students as they attend classes and explore
the country. Beth, an elementary teacher in the Rose Bud School
District, will resign from her position and join Harding as an
instructor for the Greece program.

"Beth and I are excited about the opportunity to touch the lives of
students as we explore ancient civilizations together,” said James.
“We will be changing cultures, homes, and relationships in this new
position, and consider it another adventure of life as we seek to
serve the Master. We've thoroughly enjoyed our 41 years in Searcy, and
trust that the next homeplace will be just as welcoming. We hope many
of our Searcy friends will visit us in our new ‘house’ in Porto
Rafti."

James joined the Harding staff in 1973 as a writer and photojournalist
before teaching in the communication department. He became chair of
the communication department in 1993 and was named dean of the newly
formed College of Communication in 2008.

A Kennett, Mo., native, James attended Harding and graduated in 1973
with a bachelor’s degree. He went on to earn a master’s degree in mass
communication from Arkansas State University and a doctorate degree in
communication from Florida State University.

Harding’s international studies program in Greece began in 1994. The
University purchased the Artemis Hotel in Porto Rafti, just outside of
Athens, in 2000, where the program is housed today. Students will
arrive for the fall semester in September.

7 comments:

Sara said...

We are gonna miss your mom and dad as well. They will do great in Greece! What a wonderful place to live and visit!!

Tomaso Ritchie said...

What in the world!!! My brain is having a little bit of a hiccup trying to put this news together. I love it, this is going to be so much fun for them. Can't wait to go visit with them about it:)

Shellie Salza said...

I'm already figuring out when we can visit them too! I have a hunch they won't be lonely!

Dyane said...

What an awesome adventure God has planned for them!!!

Kathryn & John said...

So exciting for them! I hoping for a Thanksgiving over there.

Sandi said...

Still can't believe this!

laura said...

Wow, so excited for them! Maybe the grandkids will have to make a visit :)